Wednesday, February 18, 2009

YardFest 2009, Debriefing

Well. The brilliant coupon idea . . . wasn't. But it's not like there was any overhead involved.

The hot dog output was offset by one philanthropist, bringing our hot dog bottom line to negative $7.

The treats paid for themselves since we sold 6. So we did a little better than break even on those.

Total Gross (for us): $103
Overhead: $18.93 (That's signs, a marker, and food ingredients)
Net: $84.07

But about the hot dogs. Look. We're not throwing them away. The unused packs of hot dogs and buns are safely tucked away in the freezer waiting to lower a grocery bill in future weeks. Plus, being at my house, it was my job to feed the folks who participated. If you count what we used and take away the dollar contributed to the cause, I figure I fed 10 people (2 of them were toddlers, but they ate their share) for $2.20. So, don't feel sorry for us on the hot dogs. It was fine.

And. If I can add my own commentary here. If you are contemplating holding a yard sale of your own, and all you plan to spread around your yard are clothes and wrapping paper, don't bother.

Firearms, flashlights, half-empty cans of air freshener (of all things), portable electronic devices, cleaning supplies from Walgreens, anything--regardless of what it is or whether anyone even knows what it is--with a sticker reading "FREE"--these things are what make yard sales a success.

That's what I learned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! You are soo funny! :)

Firearms. Yep, yardsale success in the South summed up in one word.

I forgot to mention that we tried to sell popsicles at our yardsale last year--I think we sold 2. But they were the amazing Blue Bunny ones that were one sale! But it gave me a good excuse to buy them.